Armia nets 2, Jets top Oilers 4-3 despite Scheifele's in

Here's some examples of stuff you can do here (feel free to think of things yourself):
Photoshop contests, Post funny pictures, Forum games, Post funny videos, Polls

Armia nets 2, Jets top Oilers 4-3 despite Scheifele's in

Postby aliciahuang » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:03 am

Concern and uncertainty clouded the Winnipeg Jets' celebration after a tough 4-3 victory over the surging Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday night.

Winnipeg's top center and second-leading scorer behind linemate Blake Wheeler,Mark Scheifele, left the game 7:37 into the second period after a hit by Oilers defenseman Brandon Davidson sent him sliding hard into the boards.

they're rolling around,"You're just hoping it's the wind knocked out of them," Jets coach Paul Maurice said. "He doesn't go down easily and he certainly doesn't lay on the ice ever. So you know if he's down it's significant."

Maurice added he'll know the extent of the upper-body injury after Scheifele is looked at more closely on Thursday. Scheifele had an assist before leaving to give him 38 points.

Joel Armia scored twice and Bryan Little and Kyle Connor also had goals as Winnipeg halted Edmonton's season-high winning streak at four games.

extending his point streak to five games (one goal, eight assists). Jesse Puljujarvi and Jujhar Khaira also scored,Authentic Carter Hutton jersey,Leon Draisaitl had a short-handed goal and an assist for the Oilers (17-18-2), and Connor McDavid added two assists.

Connor Hellebuyck made 22 saves for the Jets (21-11-6), who are 13-3-1 at home. Cam Talbot stopped 35 shots for the Oilers. He had won seven straight starts.

Davidson didn't draw a penalty on the hit to Scheifele,Authentic Jake Allen jersey, and Edmonton coach Todd McLellan said it was an unfortunate injury.

" McLellan said. "Hopefully he's not hurt, something's got to give, seriously hurt. We want to have our star players,"The boards are so heavy and so hard that when you go into them like that and you can't protect yourself or slow down,Authentic Steven Stamkos jersey, or all players, in the games."

Winnipeg hosts the New York Islanders on Friday and travels to take on the Oilers again Sunday.

"There's no intent there by (Davidson). You can tell," Oilers forward Mark Letestu said. "(Scheifele) just kind of went in awkwardly.

but if he misses the next couple (games), and the next time they're through Edmonton,adidas Nicklas Backstrom jersey,"He's good for our league, that wouldn't hurt my feelings."

The teams were tied 2-all after the first period and Winnipeg led 4-3 after the second.

McDavid raced after it and went in alone on Hellebuyck. When he got to the front of the net, he suddenly dropped the puck back to Draisaitl,After Jets defenseman Jacob Trouba couldn't keep the puck in Edmonton's end on the power play,Authentic Michael Hutchinson jersey, who scored his ninth goal of the season for the 1-0 lead at 6:17 of the first.

Little tied it just under two minutes later. The veteran center's sixth goal of the season came in his 710th career game, making him the franchise leader in games played for the Jets/Atlanta Thrashers franchise. He surpassed former teammate Chris Thorburn.

Armia gave Winnipeg a 2-1 lead at 14:44, but Puljujarvi quickly struck on a rebound to knot the score at 16:07.

The Jets regained the lead 54 seconds into the second after Wheeler fed a pass across the front of Talbot to Connor. The assist was Wheeler's 288th for the organization, surpassing Ilya Kovalchuk as the franchise leader.

man," said Wheeler, who moved to center after the injury. "That's part of my livelihood,"That's my running mate, a big part of what we do as a team. Irreplaceable. Just fingers crossed."

and sixth of the season, after taking advantage of a bad Oilers pass. He stole the puck and went in on a breakaway to make it 4-2 at 9:48,Armia scored his second of the game, but Khaira closed the gap to one goal again 47 seconds later.

but our smarts, our hockey smarts, didn't exist,"I thought that the work ethic and the commitment to wanting to work hard was there tonight," McLellan said.

we had poor support in behind, faceoff execution, number of turnovers,"A lot of times we were stepping up in the neutral zone, stuff that we need to do a much better job of against a team like that."

Mathew Barzal flicked the puck into the net from in close with 8:38 left in Saturday’s game against Winnipeg, and suddenly it was raining hats on the ice at Barclays Center.

20,The Islanders’ standout rookie center had just done something new. Barzal, scored his first career hat trick — all set up by Jordan Eberle. That went nicely with 38 saves by Jaroslav Halak.

After a mostly trying month, the Islanders emerged with a 5-2 win and some positive thoughts to carry into the NHL’s three-day Christmas break.

it’s pretty cool,“Yeah,” Barzal said. “Nice to do it in a win. I got some good passes that I was fortunate enough to bury . . . I’ll look back on it for sure.”

2011, against Buffalo. He also became the youngest Islander with a hat trick since John Tavares on Jan. 15,Barzal became the 11th rookie in Islanders history to score three goals in a game and the first since Michael Grabner on Feb. 13, 2011.

Barzal has 12 goals. His gifts of skating,With his first career multi-goal game, puck handling and scoring were on display for the holiday season.

“We know how he skates and controls the play,adidas Carter Hutton jersey,” Doug Weight said. “But he’s got composure at a young age. He’s got a lot of confidence right now. It’s fun to watch him.”

Barzal’s 23 assists and 35 points — in 36 games — ranked first among NHL rookies heading into Saturday night’s games.

“I think his biggest attributes are speed and being able to turn on a dime and keep continuous speed,” Eberle said. “A lot of players can’t do that. So he creates some space for himself that way and brings a lot of guys to him and gives [Andrew] Ladd and I space.

“I think [today] he showed he can finish and the all-around player he is.”

The Islanders (19-13-4) showed up with the second-most goals in the NHL and the second-most goals allowed. They had gone 3-6-2 in December, including five or six goals six times. But the goalies, yielding at least four goals eight times,Authentic Nicklas Backstrom jersey, Halak and Thomas Greiss, weren’t the only ones to blame.

“I don’t think I struggled or anything, you’ve got to look where they’re coming from. If you keep them on the outside,” Halak said. “When you look at the goals,adidas Jake Allen jersey, there’s a good chance I will stop the pucks.”

The Isles’ power play went to work 1:16 into the game, and it took only 15 seconds to cash in. Josh Bailey sent the puck toward the net from the right circle and Anders Lee hammered the rebound past Steve Mason for his team-leading 22nd goal.

After falling into a 2-0 hole six times this month, the Islanders went up 2-0 with only 2:20 gone. Barzal converted from the left doorstep.

“I played like this in junior,adidas Steven Stamkos jersey,adidas Philipp Grubauer jersey,” Barzal said. “Dougie gives me some freedom offensively. So it’s been great.”

Tucker Poolman chopped the lead in half with a shot from the right point that sailed past the screened Halak at 13:42.

Barzal then made a nifty move around Bryan Little and carried the puck through the right circle and behind the goal line. A bank shot for a goal wasn’t his intent. But he flipped the puck off a defender’s skate in front and it caromed in for a 3-1 lead with 35.7 seconds on the clock.

” Barzal said. “You throw pucks at the net,“Sometimes that’s just the way it works, good things happen.”

who was scratched for the previous game,Barzal finished his hat trick off Eberle’s feed from behind the goal line. Anthony Beauvillier,Authentic Philipp Grubauer jersey, made it 5-1 with 4:59 left. Adam Lowry closed the scoring with 1:36 to go.

“We’ve shown that we have the firepower to win hockey games, late in the season, all the games are 2-1,” Eberle said. “But especially down the stretch,adidas Michael Hutchinson jersey, 3-2. You need to learn how to win those ways. Against a really good Winnipeg hockey club, we found a way to limit them to two.”

The Buffalo Sabres are going to be out of town for much of the World Junior Championship, with Tuesday's initial set of four games one of the few chances they'll have to check out the action at KeyBank Center and HarborCenter.

The tourney's opening is a flashback for many members on the team. Defenseman Jake McCabe, captained Team USA to its 2013 title in Ufa, Russia, for one, on a club that was coached by current Sabres boss Phil Housley. The Americans' open defense of their gold medal in this event Tuesday at 8 against Denmark, with the buildup growing for Friday's outdoor game against Canada in New Era Field.

"It's going to be a fun tournament. It always is and I'm looking forward to following it," McCabe said. "It's too bad we won't be around to catch more games because I know espcially that outdoor game is going to be really cool. I wish we could have somehow swung our Winter Classic at New Era Field but it's going to be really fun for those guys."

"I'm going to try to get to the game against Denmark here just to show some support," Housley said. "It's great they're bringing the same coaching staff back they had last year. They have some consistency and they really feed off each other."

McCabe had three goals and three assists in the 2013 tournament, leading the team with a plus-9 rating. McCabe and current Winnipeg Jets standout Jacob Trouba were the two defensemen named to the tourney's all-star team.

"It's such a huge tournament," said Housley. "You look at the 2013 team, to see where players have gone from the World Juniors to their development, and it's great to see where they're playing now."

" McCabe said. "It's just such a unique tournament that brings all the young stars together and it's something the whole hockey world is watching that's gotten bigger and bigger. The pressure the Canadians have is quite a bit more than the U.S. guys. Being in Buffalo here,"It's always exciting to see the games and you're reliving it a little bit every year, I bet our guys will have a bigger chip on their shoulders and hopefully they can bring home the gold again."

Sabres players routinely have the tournament on televisions in their locker room at home and on the road. The team was in Chicago last year during the Canada-USA shootout in the gold medal game, with roars on each shot audible to reporters in the hallway and then-coach Dan Bylsma briefly delaying his postgame news conference while he was watching the finish as well.

The 2013 version of Team USA only went 2-2 in pool play, 7-0, suffering 2-1 losses to both Canada and Russia but still sneaking into the quarterfinals. After blowing out the Czech Republic, Team USA got revenge with Canada in a 5-1 semifinal blowout. Sweden was dispatched in the gold medal game, 3-1.

McCabe was in his second year on the ice at the University of Wisconsin after being drafted by the Sabres in the second round in 2012. He made his debut with the Sabres in 2014 after signing his pro contract, was a regular in Rochester in 2014-15 and became a full-timer with the Sabres in 2015-16.

McCabe said his World Juniors experience was made unique by making the jaunt to Ufa, a Russian city of about 1 million people located roughly 850 miles from Moscow.

a couple interesting experiences there and the food is a lot different,"It was different,' he said. "I know Canada brought in a couple of their own chefs to make their meals but we just stuck with the old Russian food and it worked out for us. My dad was able to come over there too and it was a lot of fun to have him there."
Survey Pro

Return to Fun Stuff