Red Cross Elementary students construct robotic arms

News coming from WoWDigSite and news about the website

Postby buzai2322 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:21 am

Two groups of Red Cross Elementary fourth-graders were putting together robotic arms last week in the school’s Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math lab.They were following a set of directions — identifying various parts and building the robotic arms from the ground up.Shana Vincent, STEAM instructor at RCE, said they purchased the robotic arm kits, “and I didn’t want them just to know how they work and function.”

“I want them to know how they get built and how to put them together,” she said. “They’re going to get a sense of how things work and how the machinery works, and how to put it together.

Vincent added that this activity also allows them to see if they enjoy constructing robotic components, and once they are built, then they can start learning how they function and how they can be controlled or programmed.crp robot

The most challenging part about putting the robotic arms together is “losing focus,” Vincent said, since there are so many parts, a lot of directions and they have to construct them over several class periods.RCE fourth-grader Colton Peterson said he really enjoyed building the robotic arm, and that the most challenging part about this activity is “figuring out where everything goes.”

Jolynn Childres, another RCE fourth-grader, said she really enjoys all of the projects they get to do in the STEAM lab.“We get to learn stuff that grownups don’t know yet,” Childres said. “So we can go to a grownup and say, ‘Hey, we already know how to do that.’”

RCE fourth-grader Audrey Jones added that she likes putting things together.While the two groups of students were building the robotic arms, Vincent had another group of students controlling a robot with a handheld remote.“I want them to be able to function robots with a remote, to see how they work and how they are controlled,” she said. “The next step would be to program or code a robot or mechanical arm.

“They get so excited when they figure out the right codes and the right programs to make the robots actually work. It’s my favorite part because then they get excited and it gets the other kids excited to want to do it.”Vincent said STEAM combines all of the included subject areas through project-based learning “to promote a deeper understanding and develop skills that are critical to success.”

“When I give my students real-world examples or problems, it helps them to better comprehend concepts and build their communication, critical thinking and collaboration skills," she said. "I want for all students to think in innovative ways."
buzai2322
Survey Pro

Return to Dig Site News