The 12 Defining Moments of Patrick Marleau's Sharks Career

Have a request or Suggestion for WoW Dig Site on this website then Post here or Private Message

The 12 Defining Moments of Patrick Marleau's Sharks Career

Postby aliciahuang » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:41 am

The prodigal son returns on Monday night, but ended with Marleau as the longest-tenured and highest-scoring player in franchise history., as Patrick Marleau takes the ice at SAP Center as an opponent for the first time. His teal tenure was filled with highs and lows

he'll surely be reminded of the moments that defined his Sharks career.,With a Toronto Maple Leafs' crest on his chest instead of the San Jose Sharks'

the Sharks picked second overall at the 1997 NHL Draft in Pittsburgh. They selected Marleau,For the second straight year, a soft-spoken 17-year-old from the small farm town of Aneroid, Saskatchewan.

Marleau may not have even been on the board for San Jose. The Mercury News wrote in 1997 that "[m]any hockey scouts and coaches think [Marleau] would have been the No. 1 pick in recent drafts; only bad timing put him in the same draft with Joe Thornton.",Had it not be the presence of a future teammate

Marleau scored his first NHL goal in a 5-3 loss to the then-Phoenix Coyotes. One of the youngest players in his draft class,Just over a month after his 18th birthday, Marleau started his professional career slowly, scoring just 6 points in the first 20 games of his rookie season.

and his 32 points that year ranked fourth among rookies. Marleau finished sixth in voting for the Calder Memorial Trophy.,He improved as the season wore on

and led the Darryl Sutter-led Sharks with 52 points in 2000-01. In the remaining 15 years of his San Jose career,Marleau hit the 25-goal plateau for the first time in his fourth season, he hit that mark 10 times, and never scored again scored less than 19 goals in an 82-game season.

In Ron Wilson's first full season behind the Sharks bench in 2003-04, leading the Sharks to their second division title., San Jose rotated its captaincy before naming Marleau the sixth permanent captain in franchise history. He scored a career-high 57 points that season

and his two hat-tricks remain a Sharks playoff record for the most in a single postseason.,He was also a key figure in San Jose's run to its first-ever Western Conference finals appearance. Marleau's 12 points in 17 games were second on the team

Marleau was blamed for San Jose's inability to get out of the second round in subsequent seasons. In a 2007 second round series with the rival Detroit Red Wings, and Robert Lang tied the game with the Sharks 33 seconds away from a 3-1 series lead., Marleau lost the puck along the neutral zone boards

San Jose lost the game, and Marleau's reputation as an underachiever truly began., and eventually the series

when the President's Trophy-winning Sharks failed to advance out of the first round. Marleau scored just three points in a six-game loss to the rival Anaheim Ducks,That reputation came to a head in 2009, and took the heat for San Jose's biggest playoff disappointment to date: That offseason, the Sharks stripped Marleau of the ‘C.'

formed one of hockey's best lines with Dany Heatley and Joe Thornton,Losing the captaincy had little effect on Marleau's play in 2009-10. He scored a career-high 44 goals, and won a gold medal at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver. It was the beginning of the best stretch of his career, and over the next four 82-game seasons, Marleau never scored less than 30 goals.

Marleau also exorcised some playoff demons. He scored two game-winning goals in San Jose's second round series against Detroit,In 2010, including the series clincher that sent the Sharks back to the Western finals. Despite the constant criticism, Marleau's 16 game-winning goals are tied for ninth-most in NHL playoff history, and tied for the most among active players with Jaromir Jagr.

and listed him among his least-favorite former teammates in his 2012 book. The latter prompted Marleau to respond.,Perhaps no media member has criticized Marleau more harshly than ex-teammate Jeremy Roenick. The analyst called Marleau ‘gutless' in 2011

"To say that I don't care about my play or winning or being gutless is absurd, then with the Mercury News. "I wouldn't have left home at 14 years old to play a game I didn't care about. I want to win more than anyone."," Marleau wrote in a text message to reporter David Pollak

and was moved up and down the lineup by new head coach Peter DeBoer.,Age appeared to finally catch up to Marleau in 2015-16. He failed to crack the 50-point mark for the first time since 2007-08

but 19 years after he was drafted,He was a secondary scorer in the Sharks' first-ever run to the Stanley Cup Final, Marleau finally scored his first Stanley Cup goal in Game 1 against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Fittingly, he did so in the same city in which he was drafted.

2017,On February 2,adidas Jakub Voracek jersey, good enough for third on the team. He ultimately ended his San Jose career with 508 goals, in his Marleau became the 45th player in NHL history to score 500 NHL goals. His 500th tally was one of 27 goals the 37-year-old Marleau scored in his 19th and final season with the Sharks,adidas Sidney Crosby jersey, 301 clear of Joe Pavelski, the next-closest Shark.

both in North America and Europe. He’s played in the best professional leagues in the world,Bobby Butler has spent the last decade living the dream as a professional hockey player, spending parts of five seasons in the NHL,Authentic Evgeni Malkin jersey, one in the Swedish Elite League and one in Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League.

The Marlboro native had an AHL Calder Cup with the Binghamton Senators and been a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award as college hockey’s top player while at the University of New Hampshire. He’s even represented the United States at the World Championships.

one might think there was not much left for Butler to achieve. However,With all those accomplishments, on Monday afternoon, Butler received the news that every young American hockey player wants to hear — he’s an Olympian.

He will wear the red, South Korea., whie and blue for the United States at the Winter Olympic Games from Feb. 14-25 in PyeongChang

but I’m certainly humbled by making the roster and excited about the opportunity,adidas Joe Pavelski jersey,“What an honor — I’m still a bit surprised,” Butler said. “Just knowing I was on the list for consideration was an honor, but to actually make the final roster is unreal. I’m looking forward to getting the chance to play in the Olympics.”

30, who led Marlboro High to the Division 3 state title in 2004,Butler, netting 13 goals and 12 assists in 31 games. It’s possible that success combined with a strong showing at the Olympics could open the door for one more crack at the NHL,adidas Sidney Crosby jersey, where he has played for the Ottawa Senators, has spent this season with the Milwaukee Admirals of the AHL, New Jersey Devils, Florida Panthers and Nashville Predators.

Butler was named to USA Hockey’s initial list of 90 over the summer and earned his spot with his impressive start with the Admirals. Because of Milwaukee’s schedule, which served as a camp for the USA team., Butler could not compete at the Deutschland Cup

which is always the goal for every season,“I just went about playing my game and trying to be the best player I could be,” he said. “Like I said, it’s an honor and I just want to live up to that honor.”

Clinton native Scott Young, had the opportunity to speak with Butler in late summer about the process., who will serve as an assistant coach for the US team

” Young said. “I’m happy for him. He’s earned this chance and it’s a great oppoetunity for him and all the guys on this team.”,“He was really hungry to make this team and take advantage of the chance to play for his country

In addition to Butler and Young, while former Cushing Academy star Broc Little — who grew up in Rindge, the US Olympic team has a distinct Central Massachusetts flavor with Worcester native Keith Allain joining Young as an assistant coach under Tony Granato, the son of Bruins’ legend Ray Bourque and another standout at Cushing, New Hampshire — joins Butler on the roster. Chris Bourque, is also on the team. So is John McCarthy, the Worcester Sharks’ all-time leading scorer with 63 goals and 88 assists in 277 games.

Boston College star and longtime NHLer Brian Gionta was named the team’s captain on Monday.

It’s been a whirlwind few months for Young, 1992, who played 17 years in the NHL — winning Stanley Cups with the 1991 Pittsburgh Penguins and 1996 Colorado Avalanche — and three times in the Olympics (1988, around the same time he was asked by Granato to serve as an assistant at the Olympics. Last month, 2002). He was named the Penguins’ director of player personnel in July, Young was inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame, where he gave a well-received induction speech.

“It’s been busy,Authentic Mario Lemieux jersey,” Young said. “I love my job and I’m thrilled to get the opportunity to represent the United States at the Olympics again. It’s such an honor to be part of the national team and to be a part of the Olympic Games., but great

all as a player. In addition to his three Olympic appearances (winning silver in 2002 under Herb Brooks), 1986,Young has represented the US internationally on 10 occasions, he played for Team USA in three World Junior Championships (1985, three World Championships (1987, 1994) and a World Cup (1996). Ironically, 1989, 1987), he played for Allain in 1992 and 1996, as Allain served as an assistant on both those teams. The 1996 team won gold at the World Cup of Hockey.

Prior to being hired by the Penguins, Boston University. He and Granato were roommates during the training camp for the 1988 team., Young was the director of hockey operations and an assistant coach at his alma mater

” Young said. “It’s a great opportunity for me. We have a great coaching staff with Tony,“I’m honored Tony asked me to join his staff, Chris (Chelios), Keith, and Ron (Rolston). (General manager) John Johnansson and (director of player personnel) Ben Smith have done a great job assembling this team in a very different way than in the past. It’s been a challenge, but we’ve been working hard and looking at a lot of film to get ready.”

who has led Yale University to a .602 winning percentage and the 2013 NCAA national title over his 11 years at the helm,The 59-year-old Allain,Authentic Jakub Voracek jersey, is no stranger to Olympic competition,adidas Mario Lemieux jersey, having served as an assistant coach at the 1992 Albertville and the 2006 Torino Olympics. He was also an assistant for the 1996 World Cup of Hockey gold medalists, as well as the 2004 World Cup team. His other men’s team experience came as an assistant at the IIHF world championships in 2005 and 2006.

His international hockey resume also includes three stints as the head coach of the US Under-20 team in 2001, and 2011., 2002

“Representing your country in an Olympic Games is the ultimate honor for an athlete,” Allain said. “We will be working toward that goal.”,Authentic Phil Kessel jersey, surpassed only by winning a medal for your country

Little was a standout player for Allain at Yale and has spent three of his five years as a professional in the Swedish Elite League. He is currently playing for Switzerland’s HC Davos in the Swiss A League, he netted 79 goals and 50 assists in 68 games., where he has 19 goals and 12 assists in 35 games. In his two years at Cushing (2005-2007)

Bourque also played two seasons at Cushing, spending parts of five seasons in the NHL with Washington, scoring 68 goals and 79 assists in 61 games. Bourque has bounced around the AHL most of his career,Authentic Sidney Crosby jersey, and Boston. He’s played the last three seasons for the Hershey Bears of the AHL, Pittsburgh, where he has scored 59 goals and 120 assists over 183 games, including averaging over a point per game this season.

Bourque, currently leads the American Hockey League with 39 points in 35 games., the son of Hall of Fame hockey player Ray Bourque

and he gets this Olympic chance as these Games mark the first time since 1994 that active NHL players will not participate.,Authentic Sidney Crosby jersey,The 31-year-old has been a standout in the American Hockey League for years

" Bourque said in a statement released by the Bears. "It's one of the biggest moments in not only my hockey career,"This is obviously an unbelievable honor for myself and my family, but in my life. Playing in the Olympics -- I don't even know if it's something you really dream about because it's so far-fetched growing up as a kid, so to have the opportunity is something that I can't even describe. It's an honor to represent Team USA."

A Boston, native, Massachusetts, won two league scoring titles (2012, Bourque is in his ninth season with the Hershey Bears. He's the AHL's career scoring leader among active players (678 points), 2016) and was named league MVP for the 2015-16 season. He's played in 51 NHL games with the Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins and Boston Bruins.

" Bears vice president of operations Bryan Helmer said in the release. "This is an incredible honor for Chris and something that he deserves.",adidas Evgeni Malkin jersey,"The entire Hershey Bears organization is thrilled for Chris Bourque

plus college players and Americans playing professionally in Europe.,Bourque is part of Team USA's 25-player roster that includes others from the AHL

The Americans' first game is a preliminary contest vs. Solvenia on Feb. 14. The gold medal game will be played Feb. 25.
aliciahuang
Survey Pro

Return to Website Help / FAQ / Suggetions