Holtby selected to the NHL All-Star Game

Feeling the pain from a grind? Think you have a cure to some Archaeology agony? Post about it here

Holtby selected to the NHL All-Star Game

Postby aliciahuang » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:58 am

This is Holtby’s third straight All-Star selection, a franchise record among goaltenders.

Jay Beagle scored with 1.3 seconds remaining and the Washington Capitals rallied to beat the Carolina Hurricanes 4-3 on Friday night.

Brett Connolly notched the tying goal with 3:08 left, and Alex Ovechkin added his NHL-leading 28th goal and two assists for first-place Washington

Saskatchewan. Two doors down lived a young Chandler Stephenson,Lane Lambert was still playing overseas when he returned home and bought a house in a new neighborhood in Saskatoon, constantly riding around in his electric toy truck.

so he was always driving around with his rubber boots on,“We lived in a cul-de-sac,” Lambert said. “I think he was probably 3 or 4 years old. It was pretty funny.”

Before Lambert was a Washington Capitals assistant coach and Stephenson was one of his players, when he was the kid no other player could seem to stop. Then Stephenson was the prospect who got beaten out for a roster spot with Washington. Now Stephenson is a reliable NHL regular, an example of just how small a world professional hockey can be. Lambert has monitored Stephenson’s career from the very beginning, the two were neighbors, and Lambert is a proud coach. Still a rookie getting comfortable, Stephenson has a little reminder of home with Lambert around.

“The relationship is there, just him kind of knowing me as a little kid and knowing kind of what I’m like. That helps a lot,” Stephenson said. “Knowing him and sharing that connection helps, for sure, having that close bond.”

their families were friends. Washington drafted Stephenson in the third round of the 2012 draft, and when Lambert joined Coach Barry Trotz’s staff in 2014,Even before Lambert and Stephenson were neighbors, Stephenson’s parents phoned to remind him of the connection. It would have been hard for Lambert to forget Stephenson. The memory that has always stayed with him was when he saw a 9-year-old Stephenson play at a tournament in Moose Jaw.

” Lambert said. “It was clear that something was going to happen with him. It wasn’t even close,adidas Kris Letang jersey, actually,“He was by far and away the best player in the tournament, how good he was then. He could have went through the whole team every time he got the puck.”

Stephenson was so good and scoring so much that his parents started encouraging him to pass more. Perhaps it taught Stephenson about sportsmanship and being a good teammate while also developing his playmaking, that he has a tendency to occasionally pass too much. On the Capitals’ roster,adidas Jake Guentzel jersey, but it also fostered a bad habit, Stephenson’s 2.24 even-strength shots per 60 minutes trail only defenseman Brooks Orpik for fewest on the team,adidas Joe Thornton jersey, according to Natural Stat Trick.

The Capitals had penciled in Stephenson to make the team out of training camp, he was beaten out by other forwards. Washington waived him and risked one of the other 30 teams swiping him, but in a competitive preseason,adidas Joe Pavelski jersey, but they all passed as he was sent down to the American Hockey League for a fourth straight season. That might have been the wake-up call Stephenson needed because when injuries cleared the way for a late October recall, he played his way into a permanent role and was told to get an apartment in Washington.

Trotz has called him a “Swiss Army knife, in the top-six forward corps or in the bottom six,” versatile because he can play at center or at left wing, on the penalty kill and on the power play. Through 32 games he has two goals and eight assists,Authentic Joe Thornton jersey, and his speedy skating is an asset deep in the Capitals’ lineup.

“Our conversation when he left here before he went on waivers and was told he was going on waivers, and he’s come back and he’s played very well. … And when he plays to his ability, ‘If you get a chance to come back, make sure you never go back,’” Trotz said. “That’s really on him. I think the message was heard and he took it to heart, I said, Chandler is a really good hockey player. He’s just starting to scratch the surface at this level, and it’s nice to see.”

and as Stephenson had his bumps getting here, Lambert was around,Lambert saw it long ago, his coach and also a familiar face from home he could trust.

“I talk to him a lot and just try to help him a little bit with direction, I’m not overbearing whatsoever, it’s about him finding his own way, too,” Lambert said. “I think that’s really important for a young player to understand that — learn and kind of find his way with the guidance. So, but also at the same time, just there to help him get his game to the level it needs to be to be an everyday player here and to be a strong contributor here. Because I think there’s no question about it with the talent he has, that’s what in the future for him as long as he finds it within himself.”

Beagle drove to the net. When Nicklas Backstrom’s pass landed on his stick, he swatted at it. When it crossed the goal line, Jay Beagle’s job simply was to win the defensive-zone faceoff. But as Alex Ovechkin carried the puck up the ice, Beagle skated back into the glass and allowed his teammates to swarm him. The goal beat the horn signaling the end of regulation by 1.3 seconds.

and it hits my stick, so there you go,“I’m just crashing the net eyes closed,” Beagle said.

Alex Ovechkin stood off to the side and chirped. “That’s a legend,As Beagle spoke to reporters in the PNC Arena visiting locker room after the Capitals’ 4-3 win over the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday night,” the captain said of Beagle.

Beagle typically takes draws in the defensive zone with other lines before skating to the bench and changing for the winger who usually skates on that forward trio. But with 17 seconds left in regulation, Coach Barry Trotz told Beagle to stay on for the full shift,Washington’s best center in the faceoff circle,Authentic Matt Murray jersey, especially if Washington won the draw and got a clean zone exit.

I live for those draws,” Beagle said. “That’s what I’ve always like to take,“Twenty seconds left,Authentic Kris Letang jersey,when there’s those pressure situations on those draws in our zone.”

and in the ultra-competitive Metropolitan Division, that one point could make a difference at the end of the season. As Washington enters its five-day bye week,Authentic Jake Guentzel jersey,The 1.3 seconds that kept the game from overtime meant Carolina didn’t even get a standings point out of the closely contested contest, the team is in first place with a cushy six-point lead.

” Trotz said. “We’ve got a few days off here,Authentic Joe Pavelski jersey, and it’ll make the break a lot more pleasurable,“It keeps some good distance, that’s for sure.”

Goaltender Philipp Grubauer had stopped 86 straight even-strength shots over his previous eight-plus periods before Jeff Skinner split Washington’s John Carlson and Brooks Orpik and then seemed to catch Grubauer off guard with a perfectly placed shot. That gave the Hurricanes a 3-2 lead less than two minutes into the third period. Grubauer would finish with 36 saves.

but Backstrom was called for tripping 1:07 later, negating a man-advantage that seemed to be the Capitals’ best opportunity to tie the game. Players looked frustrated — Oshie smacked his stick against the ice,adidas Matt Murray jersey,Washington then got a power-play opportunity 4:03 into the period when Noah Hanifin was called for hooking Tom Wilson, and Ovechkin appeared to shout at an official.

But Washington’s bench found its signature poise, adidas Patrick Marleau jersey,an errant pass in front of Carolina’s net. Brett Connolly got to the puck and wasted no time swatting it through goaltender Cam Ward’s pads to tie the game at three. Connolly has three goals in the past seven games, Oshie’s forecheck pressure forced Hanifin into an egregious turnover,Authentic Patrick Marleau jersey, and with 3:08 left in regulation, and since Trotz moved Oshie to the third line with center Lars Eller, the line arguably has been the team’s best.

“That’s the thing with Osh,” Connolly said. “He gives you 110 percent of his effort every single game.”

Grubauer entered Friday’s game 3-0-2 over his past six appearances with a 1.04 goals against average and a .965 save percentage, allowing just two even-strength goals in that span. He has been virtually unbeatable at even strength — he entered the game having stopped 110 of the past 111 even-strength shots he had faced — but the Hurricanes were able to do damage with the power play from the start.

Connolly was called for interference 3:10 into the game, a pretty Carolina passing sequence was capped off with Justin Williams setting up a Jordan Staal wrister from the slot. Washington’s power play got a chance roughly two minutes later, and just 10 seconds later, and just seconds before the man-advantage expired, a mad scramble broke out in front of the net. Ward was on all fours trying to cover the puck as it pin-balled between seven bodies around the crease.
aliciahuang
Survey Pro

Return to Diggin Woes