Digging Strategies

Talk about various Archaeology things here like fragment farming

Digging Strategies

Postby Umar » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:30 am

Hey all,

While my Warlock is on a flight path to the next dig site, I thought I'd make a thread about some of the strategies I use to help with finding the elusive rares.

Now from our understanding there is no way to improve the percentage chance of a rare appearing, the best we can do is speed up how many solves one can accomplish in any given amount of time, like solves per hour.

Key stones
Key stones count for 12 fragments. Getting keystones off other players through the auction house or trade is a good idea.

Something that I have found to work quite well for getting obscenely priced keystones on the auction is to send the seller a letter. Something like 'I am interested in buying your Tol'vir keystones, if you are unable to sell them I can offer X gold COD, thankyou'. How much is too much is dependent on your server, I can expect to pay around 200g per keystone, and possibly more for Tol'vir however there is the occasional bargain. I have had decent success with this method.
You can also try trading keystones you don't need for keystones you do. I only really see this being useful if you already have Zinrokh or Staff of Sorcerer-Thaurissan Thane as Night Elf keystones are not of equal value.

Guild benefits
If you aren't in a guild, get into one purely for the benefits. Mount up, Ride like the Wind to increase flight speeds. Hasty hearth is great and even the Guild Page is good for when you are digging and run out of inventory space.

Portals and Hearth locations
Now I am an Undead Warlock so there are some things I may have access to that you might not and vice versa, however here are some ideas:

Kalimdor
The best Hearthstone location (in my opinion) in Kalimdor is Orgrimmar's Valley of Wisdom (the Tauren area) This is because it sits right next to all the portals. The portals you'll be using are the Uldum ones of course and the Mount Hyjal one when they pop up, the Mount Hyjal port also helps you get closer to the Winterspring digsites. You can also access the Darkmoon Faire teleport from one of the Darkmoon Faire mages while it is on. This takes you to Mulgore which helps to get to the Feralas/Desolace digs.

The Dalaran Ring is a great way to teleport to Dalaran, then get back to Orgrimmar again. I use this when the hearth is on cooldown (good if you don't have Hasty Hearth)

The Tol'Barad Tabard is also good too, it allows you to go from Tol'barad and then port back to Orgrimmar's portal area.

Engineering's portal to Gadgetzan (or Everlook) is also worthwhile, anything to cut down on travel time is worth the investment. Make sure you have an answer to plumetting to your doom if it misfires though (slowfall, parachute, falling meteor..)

Eastern Kingdoms
The best Hearthstone location for Eastern Kingdoms again IMO, is Hiri'watha Research Station in the Hinterlands. There are a fair few dig spots in and around the Hinterlands and it is one of the most central locations in the north of EK. It is tempting to put the hearthstone in Stranglethorn because of the number of digsites there. But after testing back and forth, I find it much easier to get to Stranglethorn than northern EK without a hearth.

The Dalaran Ring is even more useful in EK because you can use it to get back to Orgrimmar to make use of the Blasted Lands portal for the digsites that appear near there. Also getting back to Orgrimmar is useful for using the Twilight Highlands portal for those digs, and also the Stranglethorn Zeppelin.

The Tol'barad tabard is again useful to access the Twilight Highlands and Stranglethorn Zeppelin as well when the Dalaran Ring is on CD.

If you have the guild level, you can use guild tabards such as Wrap of Unity to get to Orgrimmar as well.

If you ever find yourself in a position where you are not close to any digsite and no digsite is close to any of your portals or hearths. It is a perfect time to try your luck with the Last Relic of Argus, many times I have been teleported close to a digsite with this, even if you end up on the rock in Outland, the portal back to Orgrimmar is close by.

Abilities
Like I mentioned my archaeologist is a Warlock, and while in hindsight I would not have picked the UD/Warlock this combination to complete archaeology. I still try and make use of the abilities I've got. Namely the new Burning Rush to increase my movespeed when I'm getting green lights on a dig, and also Falling Meteor is great for getting straight to the ground from a great height, for example going from Mount Hyjal to Winterspring, it is quicker to plummet to the ground than fly down, I'm sure there are other moves that achieve the same effect.

Anyway that's all I can think of for now, feel free to add your ideas too, especially if you are Alliance or a different Class.

Back to digging!
Umar
New Guy

Re: Digging Strategies

Postby Uriah » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Very nice post, well done :)
WoW Dig Site Administrator || My Blog || Uriah.me || Main Toon // Image Image Image
"The definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing over and over again and expecting different results".
Uriah
Website Admin

Postby Morpsend » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:48 pm

great post.
Morpsend
Forum Mod Elite

Postby Moronman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:54 pm

The bit about sending messages to the people selling keystones with offers (especially when buying in bulk) have worked very well for me as well.
Evil spelled backwards is Live, and we all want to do that don't we?
Moronman
Survey Pro

Postby Moronman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:24 am

Had a derp moment today, I realized I hadn't upgraded my archaeology profession. :crazy:

DON'T BE LIKE THE MORON HERE AND FORGET TO LEVEL YOUR PROFESSIONS BEFORE HEADING INTO PANDARIA!!! :lol:

that is my digging strategy for the day. :oops:
Moronman
Survey Pro

Postby Moronman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:05 am

On a side note, as far as I know you cannot turn in the Pristine Artifacts until you reach lvl 90 and can get pandaria flying due to the fact that the npcs are on top of a building (and I have yet to find a ground path or teleport to reach them).

If anyone knows differently please do tell me.
Moronman
Survey Pro

Return to Surveying Crosstalk