General Changes coming to Archaeology in Mists of Pandaria
- You are now able to survey up to six times per digsite, this went live with Patch 5.0.4.
- There will be two new races to solve for, the Pandaren and the Mogu.
- You won’t want to vendor the new artifacts, as they only sell for 1g. Instead, you use them to create a Restored Artifact.
- Restored Artifacts can be used to purchase crates that contain 5-9 fragments for the non Pandaria races, as well as two other items.
- Occasionally an Ancient Haunt will spawn after finding artifact fragments. They rarely drop a Mogu or Pandaren keystone and always drop ~7 fragments
- There are now some daily quests for Archaeology
- You can find Pristine versions of artifacts and put them on display
Pristine Artifacts are rarely gained from solving a common artifact. These items give you a quest which is turned in at the Seat of Knowledge. These quests add the artifact to your phased collection, similar to the way the Lorewalker’s bookshelf works.
Restored Artifact currency is used to buy Fragments of any race and also some other items such as:
- Lorewalker’s Map = Reset Digsite Locations (Pandaria)
- Lorewalker’s Lodestone = Digsite Teleporter (Pandaria)
New Rare Items
There are four new rare items to be found in Mists of Pandaria, three of which are level 85+ gear!
Quilen Statuette (Mogu)
Anatomical Dummy (Mogu)
Umbrella of Chi-Ji (Pandaren)
Spear of Xuen (Pandaren)